I have been baking/cooking gluten free for the past 8, almost 9, years. Lots of cookies have made their way through my kitchen, and I dare say that these are THE BEST! These Gluten Free Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies are my favorite gluten free cookie!
The dough starts out as a regular chocolate chip cookie, but you mix in diced maraschino cherries. Now, I have always had luck with changing regular recipes to gluten free by using a gluten free baking mix, not just a gluten free flour. I am sure someone out there is going to tell me about how I am wrong, or shouldn’t do that, but when it comes to baked goods, it is how I have the best luck. For this recipe, I used the Aldi Brand Gluten Free Baking Mix (pancake mix).
I am also a firm believer in the power of the cookie scoop. It is life changing if you love to bake! Drop the dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 350 for roughly 12 minutes.
As with many gluten free cookies, you want to let these cool on the pan for a few minutes before you remove them to a rack. Aren’t they pretty?
These chewy morsels of goodness surprise you with the little bursts of cherry occasionally! That is my favorite! You can also make a couple of easy changes to make these cookies dairy-free. The ones pictured are dairy free.
Oh, and bonus, this dough is perfect to freeze ahead for when one of those cookie monster moments happens. Check out these freezer cookie dough tips to get you started.
Gluten Free Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ¾ cup butter or margarine softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons gluten free vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten free flour mix
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup maraschino cherries, diced into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes in the mixer.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, add the gluten-free flour mix, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and whisk to combine. If your mix doesn't contain it, add one tsp of xantham gum With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and cherries by hand. At this point, you can refrigerate or freeze the dough for later or continue baking.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart. Bake the cookies for 11-13 minutes until the edges are just starting the brown and the top still looks slightly undercooked. Remove from the oven and cool for 2-3 minutes on the baking sheet before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Use dairy free margarine and dairy-free chocolate chips.